Minutes of the Libertarian Party of Delaware 2015 State Convention
The Libertarian Party of Delaware held its annual convention on 8 August, 2015 at the Kent County Theater Guild in Dover, DE. State Chairman Scott Gesty called the convention to order at approximately 1pm.
1) Copies of the 2014 convention minutes had been available on-line and written copies were available for review prior to calling the convention to order. A motion was made and carried to accept the minutes from the 2014 convention as written.
2) The proposed agenda for this convention was presented by Scott Gesty
3) Scott Gesty and Mary Pat McVay presented a 2014 Treasurer's Report which is included in the electronic version of these minutes in the attached Powerpoint presentation below.
4) Scott Gesty made a presentation on the accomplishments of the party during his tenure 2013-2015 highlighting fundraising, voter registration and election results. Details are included in the attached Powerpoint presentation below.
5) A significant amount of time was devoted to discussing the future direction of the party. Some members have expressed frustration with a lack of significant improvement in election results despite fielding some excellent candidates in the last election. The discussion centered on whether we should continue to operate as a conventional political party by putting forward candidates for public office, whether we should act more in a lobbying and voter education role, or whether we should disband the party and migrate into the established major parties in an attempt to influence their platforms in a more libertarian direction.
Scott Gesty handed out questionnaires soliciting member feedback and also committed to conducting an online survey of Delaware Libertarians via Survey Monkey or some similar venue. The results would be further discussed at the next State Board meeting probably in September.
6) Elections were held for State Executive Committee positions to serve for the next two years. The results were as follows:
State Chairman Scott Gesty
Vice Chairman Brad Thomas
Treasurer Mary Pat McVay
Secretary Jesse McVay
7) After a brief intermission, the convention resumed with Scott Gesty announcing that Rob James had been selected as the recipient of the second annual Bill Morris Award. Rob was a tremendous advocate for liberty not just intellectually, but also with his devotion to grass roots activism. Rob passed away late last year from cancer. We remember him fondly and we will miss him.
8) In a more lighthearted moment, Scott Gesty presented a brief political quiz to see if the assembled members could identify the speakers of some of our politicians' more outrageous quotes.
9) Finally, the convention divided into county chapters for the selection of county officers for the next two year term. The results were as follows:
Chairman Johnny Machurek
Secretary Brad Thomas
Treasurer Scott Gesty (Tentative pending inquiries re: possible conflict)
State Board Representative Nadine Frost
State Board Representative Bob Wilson
Chairman Jesse McVay
Secretary Margie McKeown
Treasurer Mary Pat McVay
State Board Representative Margie McKeown
State Board Representative Vacant
Chairman Jimmy Brittingham
Secretary Zach Denney
State Board Representative Wendy Jones
State Board Representative Bob Siglar
There being no further business, the convention was adjourned at approximately 3:30pm.
Submitted by Jess McVay Secretary